The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited - IRCTC
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited, a public sector enterprise under the Ministry of Railway, is the tourism arm of Indian Railways. It provides a full range of hospitality, travel and tourism services to rail passengers. IRCTC is one of the world's largest e-commerce portal and catering service provider. While its website (www.irctc.co.in) receives over 5.5 million hits a month, the catering arm of IRCTC feeds millions who travel every day on Indian Railways.
IRCTC is also the proud owner of the Finest Luxury Train THE MAHARAJAS' EXPRESS, the Buddhist Train Mahaparinirvan Express and various other Rail Tourism Products.
A royal lineage with bloodlines that go back 168 years !
In 1844, the Indian Railways in its earlier avatar was called the East Indian Railway Company, it was founded by the then Governor of India, Lord Hardinge. Under his supervision several experimental trains were introduced from Bombay to Calcutta, but the real breakthrough came in 1853, when the first passenger train service was inaugurated between Bombay and Thane. The year following that witnessed Lord Dalhousie, the Governor-General of India, formulating a plan to have a network of trunk lines connecting the principal regions of India. Today, the Indian Railway stands as one of the largest and busiest rail networks in the world. Catering to over 18 million passengers and carrying more than 2 million tonnes of freight daily, it traverses the length and breadth of the country and covers 6,909 stations - a gigantic route of more than 63,327 kms. With a workforce of 1.5 million, it is the single largest employer in the world. Calling it 'bi g' would truly be an understatement.
Awards & Achievements
Within a very short span of time since inception, Maharajas' Express has been fortunate to be recognized & receive many awards. We thank all our well- wishers for the support extended to us.
- Winner of Seven Star Luxury Hospitality & Lifestyle Award 2016
- Winner of World Travel Award 2016 for the category "Worlds leading Luxury Train"
- Winner of World Travel Award 2015 for the category "Worlds leading Luxury Train"
- Winner of CNBC AWAAZ Travel Awards 2015 for Best Luxury Train
- Winner of the World Travel Award 2014 for the category "Worlds Leading Luxury Train"
- Winner of the World Travel Award 2013 for the category “Worlds Leading Luxury Train”
- Winner of the "Excellence in Luxury" at the Royal India, 2013, Dubai
- Winner of the World Travel Award 2012 for the category "Worlds Leading Luxury Train"
- 1st Runner up in the Conde Nast Readers Choice Travel Awards 2011
- Winner of CNBC AWAAZ Travel Awards 2010 for Best Luxury Train
7 Star Luxury Award 2016
Luxury Train Award 2016
Seven Stars Award 2015